April General Meeting Minutes 4 May 2017

Minutes
Blind Citizens NZ Nelson Branch General Meeting
held on Saturday 22nd April 2017 at 2.00pm at Church of Christ Hall,
Richmond

Amanda (Chair) Welcomed all to the Meeting

Present: Amanda Stevens (Chair), Joan Davidson, John Monk, Ann Taylor, Chrissy Fern,
Elizabeth Raaijen, Kaye Halkett, Brian Say, Noreen Cater, Judy Campbell, Valerie Cooper,

Minutes
Blind Citizens NZ Nelson Branch General Meeting
held on Saturday 22nd April 2017 at 2.00pm at Church of Christ Hall,
Richmond

Amanda (Chair) Welcomed all to the Meeting

Present: Amanda Stevens (Chair), Joan Davidson, John Monk, Ann Taylor, Chrissy Fern,
Elizabeth Raaijen, Kaye Halkett, Brian Say, Noreen Cater, Judy Campbell, Valerie Cooper,
David McNamara, Shane Mead, Christina Palmer, Joan Rayner, Beryl Stansbury, Sue Maxted-Massey, Betty Rodda, Ruth Chignall, Tess Grooby, Maureen Bettany, Mavis Ducray, Hilda Smith, Beryl Spencer, Kath Harris, Andrea Kepes, Mike Stevens National (Councillor), Lennane Kent (Secretary).

Apologies: Gill Clayton, Ruth Nicholson, Claudette Pow

Minutes of the Previous General Meeting:
Include TIS number option 4165
Apologies from Ann Taylor and Shane Mead not included.

Minutes accepted Kaye /Christina

Matters Arising:
Suter Gallery Visit
During this visit members had difficulties with the stairs.
Kaye has drawn this to the attention of Julie, and she has progressed this further.
Suter Gallery will now work with the Blind Foundation to improve the situation.

Positive Ageing Expo:
Thank you to everybody who worked through the day.
Also thank you to Mike Tasman Jones from the Tasman District Council.
Another transport option was noted.
“Freedom Companion Driving Service” Total mobility vouchers can be used with this service.
To contact phone 03/539 4856 or phone 0800 956 956
Email nelson@freedomdrivers.co.nz

National Councillor’s Report:
Information from the Management Committee.
There is a now a more balanced operation between Blind Foundation and Blind Citizens NZ.
Blind Foundation has also agreed to improved funding for Blind Citizens NZ.
Blind Citizens NZ has received a significant donation and members input as to
how this should be used is being sought.
Life Members , should they continue to be life members if they have left NZ?

Memo 4
AGM and Conference will be held in Invercargill 13-16 October.
Theme of “Listening, Connecting and Engagement”

Queen Street Upgrade:
Things are changing quite quickly.
The bus stop is back outside the Warehouse and will stay there until the end of the project.
If anyone has any queries phone the Tasman District Council Customer Service Number 543 8400.
This is a 24 hour service.

Banking-Fastnet Business Account:
Amanda working hard with ASB to get this system accessible and up and running. It should happen very shortly.

Sandwich Boards:
Amanda and Brian met with Councillor McGurk we cannot change the bylaw, but Blind Citizens NZ Nelson Branch will continue to push for their removal. Councillor McGurk very supportive. He
said that there is an App called “Snap, Send Solve” whereby members can take a photo of the non-compliant obstacle and send it directly to Council. It is automatically logged, pin pointed by GPS. Council will send somebody out to address the situation.
Note: sandwich boards are shopside in Nelson and kerbside in Tasman District Council.

Committee for 2017/2018:
Amanda reported to the meeting that she would be standing down from the Chair at the Annual General Meeting in July having been in the chair for over two years. Feels that she has learnt a great deal being in this position. It is time to find a new chairperson. Also for anybody interested to think about coming onto the committee for the future. Talk to a current committee person if you want more information.

Transport for Meeting:
Today’s transport has been provided through University of the Third Age (U3A) coordinated by Brian and Stella. Thanks to you both for these arrangements.

Mid Year Lunch:
This will be held on 21st June 2017 at The Play House.
Committee plans to organise a bus for this event.

Da Vinci Exhibition Machines and Robots:
Being held at the Nelson Provincial Museum.
12 people expressed interest attending.

Amanda thanked Kaye and Ann for organising these two events.

Membership:
Time of the year to pay subscriptions for 2016/2017.
Can be paid at General Meetings, for most peope the cost is $10.00 for the year.

Possible change in Meeting Structure:
As a branch we are obliged to hold only three meetings a year.
Amanda asked for ideas from the membership.
This topic will be an agenda item for the next couple of months to gauge
members feelings for the future.
Ideas expressed at the meeting:
Have the business section at only every second meeting.
Have only entertainment/speakers at every second meeting.
This would help the work load of the Chair.

Accessible Art Group:
This group meets on the first Friday of the month at Somerset.
Members are continuing to work on air dry clay.
If you are interested in joining, contact a committee member or get in touch with the Blind Foundation in Stoke.

Any Other Business
Tasman District Council is looking for submissions about the change of speed limit
through Queen Street. While the upgrade is on, the speed limit has been reduced
to 30km per hour. There is consideration about keeping it at this speed
permanently.
Comments made:
With three pedestrain crossings it was thought that speeds would not be able to be high, and it would be a good idea to keep it low.
Help to reduce the road toll, it is a good idea.
Another comment wanted to wait until the project was completed to see what is appropriate.
Most members (17) agreed with the reduced speed limit, one person disagreed at this time.

Social and Coffee group with Chrissie.
It has now been agreed that these will be held on the 2nd Friday of each month,
at a different cafe. The next one will be on 12 May at River Kitchen at 10.30.
If interested just turn up, or contact Chrissie 272943331 or contact the Blind Foundation in Stoke.

Email Yahoo Groups list.
Amanda encouraged every one who uses email to join this email group to keep in contact
and share information.
Amanda is trying to contact all visually/hearing impaired people in the area.

Speaker:
Craig Piner, Fire Risk Management Officer spoke to the group about fire protection
and the importance of having working fire alarms in houses.
His talk was very interesting and useful.
Thank you to Mike for organising this.

Afternoon tea was served and raffles drawn; Thank you to Brian and Stella, Joan Davidson and Kaye for the many raffle prizes. Much appreciated.

The next meeting will be on 20th May.
There being no further business the meeting closed at 3.40pm.

1